– ¼ pound thick-cut bacon, diced
– ½ cup chopped shallots
– 1 pound deveined peeled uncooked shrimp
– 3 cloves garlic, chopped
– 1 teaspoon sea salt
– 3 cups milk
– 1 cup chicken broth
– 1 cup coarse cornmeal
– ½ cup shredded Cheddar or grated Parmesan cheese
– Hot sauce, for serving
1) Heat a medium saucepan over medium. When hot, add bacon; cook until just crisp, about 5 minutes, stirring. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon from saucepan; set aside.
2) Add shallots to saucepan; cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp, garlic, and salt; cook until shrimp just turn pink, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp from saucepan set aside.
3) Add milk, broth, and cornmeal to saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Lower to a simmer and cook until mixture is very thick and smooth, stirring, about 20 minutes.
4) Add reserved bacon and shrimp to saucepan; stir well to mix. Top with desired cheese and hot sauce; serve warm.
Grits are warm and extremely soft, and they are best complimented by crunchy, crispy dishes, such as a crunchy raw salad, thick cornbread, or browned toast.